Random notes from a snowy Tuesday here at the Wranch:
- Thanks to those of you who suggested Adium as the solution to all my Intertubes messaging woes (namely the multiple platforms in use by my circle of friends and family.) I had tried it before, but only used it as an AIM client. The multitude of protocols supported by Adium neatly cover everyone I know. It doesn’t do video, but I hardly ever vid-chat anyway, because it’s really laggy over a satellite connection.
- We have snow on the ground, and snowflakes in the air. That means workout season is about to start for me. In a reversal of standard practice, I gain weight in the summer, when I don’t have to snowblow the driveway from top to bottom twice a day, nor clear the snow off the roof. You do not need a home gym in the winter when you have a house with a shallow roof pitch.
- SF writer Toby Buckell is having some health issues involving the ticker. I’m eight years his senior. I commented on someone else’s blog that mortality reminders suck, especially when they come in the form of an EKG.
- The propane truck just topped off our tank. This season, our price for a gallon of propane is $2.55. Last year, it was $1.66. Thankfully, we have lots of wood stockpiled, and we know how to actually use those wood stoves properly, so there shouldn’t be any $350/month fuel bills like last winter.
- Apparently, the Ford CEO says that we’ll have nationwide soup lines within a month if the Big Three don’t get that sweet, sweet public cash infusion, and that we’ll possibly even see attacks of legions of zombies led by the reanimated corpse of Henry Ford. Also, it’s all the fault of the idiot consumers who forced Ford at gunpoint to put all their eggs into the truck and SUV market basket.
- I love the Intertubes age. I just got paid for a freelance job…by a Canadian client. I took the job via email, got the project parameters per email, delivered the finished copy via email, and got paid through PayPal. Living in the future rocks.
- The novel has crested 60,000 words, and is now officially in its last third. Go Team Me.
- I read on someone else’s blog that a study shows writers to be overwhelmingly either first or only children. I wonder how many of my writer friends fall into that bracket. (I’m a first child.)
- I haven’t purchased a firearm in over a year. Strangely enough, I’m quite content with the ones I have, as they fill all my gun-related needs handily. Not stopping by at Coal Creek Armory every weekend has cut down on my “Ooh, shiny!” acquisitions quite drastically. I would like to add a lever-action rifle and a decent shotgun to the collection, but that’s a want rather than a need.
- Is there such a thing as a decent instant coffee?