- I’ll be at the Northeast Blogmeet tonight at the Hilltop Steakhouse in Saugus, MA. Rumor has it we’ll have a genuine Interwebs celebrity dropping in, so if you’re reading this as a resident of the Greater BoSox Allegiance Zone (or you happen to be passing through), stop by and offer the culturally appropriate greeting of your choice.
- I’m going to have to concur with friend Matt’s assessment that Oakland, CA, is in some pretty deep shit. I know that if I was an officer with Oakland PD, I secured a site where three of my colleagues were killed, and I had to endure the taunting of community members, I’d take that star off my chest and hurl it across my supervisor’s table so energetically that it would probably count as ADW. A police force that doesn’t have the support of its community (or worse, has the community actively working against the police) cannot do its job.
- What’s up with California, anyway? They’re so progressive, legislatively speaking: tough gun control, near-universal health care, strict environmental regulations…and out-of-control crime in the major cities, high unemployment, and a state that’s constantly strapped for cash. (I’m probably just imagining a correlation here.)
- No offense to my Catholic friends, but the Holy Father’s latest statement on condoms and AIDS came straight out of his southbound orifice. Every available piece of evidence available to us shows that condom use helps prevent HIV infections. (As for his suggested alternative of abstinence…well, that doesn’t even seem to work too well for priests.) Not since Alan Greenspan have I seen someone claiming so much authority on a subject he has so little knowledge about.
- On the subject of contraceptives and related attitudes, I have a little anecdote for you. A few years back, an OB-GYN I know related the (HIPAA-sanitized) tale of a fifteen-year-old patient in his practice. Said fifteen-year-old was in for a checkup in her second(!) pregnancy. The doctor suggested to the parents that “you need to put your daughter on birth control.” The parents were offended at the suggestion, and replied that they would never do such a thing, because “it would encourage her to have sex.” *blink*
- (This was in a Southern state whose name rhymes with “apple tree”.)
- Still limping along on satellite Intertubes here at Castle Frostbite. We keep getting tantalizing mail ads from Comcast trying to sell us their High Speed Internets, despite the fact that there’s still no cable laid on our street. It’s like sending free issues of Playboy to a blind guy, with a braille letter that says, “Look What You’re Missing!” Assholes.
- Two imminent upgrades to Castle Frostbite, in order of priority: a new roof, and a new pellet stove to replace one of our two wood stoves. The roofing guy showed up a few days ago, took stock of our situation, and strongly suggested a rubber roof. Operation “Tile The Roof With Twenty-Dollar Bills” will officially commence as soon as it stays above freezing at night for a few weeks. Anyone in Intertubes land ever replace a wood stove with a pellet unit? Please share your experience regarding convenience, efficiency, cost of fuel, and whether you consider the swap an improvement worth the expenditure.
- Minor annoyance of the week: spambots following me on Twitter. Every time we have a new and interesting platform for communication, it takes about three-point-four minutes before the spammers move in and smear their shit on the virtual walls. It’s the equivalent of someone butting into a private conversation to yell, “HEY, YOU! WANNA BUY SOME SOLAR PANELS? HOW ABOUT A NEW CELL PHONE?” What the world needs is a reliable virtual equivalent to a real-life kick in the balls.
Well, that’s it for this morning. I need to fold some laundry, wash some dishes, haul in more wood, and square away the kids at lunchtime. Tonight: socializing!