- Michigan man is charged with felony for checking email over a coffee shop’s unsecured WiFi network. That’s right, folks: piggybacking on someone’s WiFi without asking permission is a F-E-L-O-N-Y now. Felony, as in: lose your voting and Second Amendment rights for life. Pretty soon, it’ll be easier to just write all the stuff into the penal code that isn’t a felony. This one’s for all you “There ought to be a law” types: they don’t need to take your guns or voting rights overtly. All they have to do is make everything under the sun a felony (with your support), and then prosecute selectively at will.
- Why did I purchase a Best of Talk Talk CD at Borders the other day? I haven’t listened to any Talk Talk since the 1980s…and I couldn’t stand most of their stuff back then. Someone take my debit card before I start buying Depeche Mode and The Cure CDs next.
- Hard deadline for novel completion: April 30, 11:59pm. I’m in a home stretch competition with one of my VP pals, who is trying to finish a play by the same date, and the loser will have to buy the winner a bottle of decent wine. There will also be gloating and general trash-talking involved, so I have a vested interest in making deadline above and beyond the whole “sell this thing and see it on the bookshelf” bit.
- After this thing is in the mail, I’ll be finishing a short story that’s been on the back burner, and waiting patiently at 75% completion. Then I’ll write another short story that has been on the tip of my brain for a month or two now, and then I guess I’ll decide whether to start with the follow-up to the SF novel, or tackle the YA urban fantasy novel that’s been percolating in my head. But first: a break, and the reading of the ten novels stacked on my desk.
- For the one or two ink-and-paper fans among you: my current favorites are Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown, and 4001 Violet.
- Does anyone out there play World of Warcraft on one of the new Mac minis, aluminum iMacs, or unibody MacBooks–the ones with the new nVidia graphics chips? if so, what sort of frame rate can you report? It’s about time for another upgrade-and-hand-me-down cycle here at Castle Frostbite, and I’m toying with the idea of getting one of the new Mac minis instead of going the usual route and ordering the bits for a new gaming rig from Newegg.
- Robin’s Chicken Tikka Masala is the bestest chicken dish in the history of the universe. In fact, it’s so good that if I were a chicken, I’d stand in line for the honor of getting my neck snapped just to be included in that Tikka Masala…it’s that good, folks.
- A tip for prospective parents: when shopping for toddler socks, never get the variety pack that has five pairs of socks with five different motifs on them. The only time you’ll ever have matching pairs is when you take them out of the bag. Get multipacks of identical pairs instead.
That’s all the Thursday Randomosity we have right now, folks. Expect more substantial blogging later, because I haven’t had my fill of controversy yet this week.