- Jeebus H. Chrysler, the footage from the
League of NationsUnited Nations shindig looked like the pilot episode for The Bedouin Hillbillies. Gaddafi, Ahmadinejad, and Chavez get lectern time at the U.N.? Any organization that turns over the podium to an avowed terrorist sponsor, a bugnuts insane Holocaust denier, and a chunky vest pocket tinpot Marxist has a severe credibility deficit. All that was missing was Kim Jong Il walking in with Fidel’s limp husk in tow, and you would have had 90% of the world’s heavyweight asshole dictators all in one spot. Shit, let’s just kick the whole lot off that prime real estate they’ve been taking up in Manhattan, and convert the U.N. complex into prime apartment space. With the revenue from uncollected parking tickets alone, we should be able to pay the U.N.’s entire moving expenses as we send them packing to their new headquarters in Caracas or Pyongyang.
- I’m busy backing up my data to external hard drives right now, because we ordered a new PC, and Robin is getting my old Core 2 Duo system. I’m downgrading to an nVidia ION box, which will be an interesting experiment. Robin’s P4 is finally at the point where playing World of Warcraft in high-traffic zones is a bit of a drag, and she plays a ton more than I do, so I’m letting her take command of my old PC…while I get a shoebox-sized, low-wattage, fanless system that can still play WoW capably on the weekends.
- There’s news on the Nugent front, but I’m not quite free to divulge any details yet. For now, let me say that an agreement is in the works, and that I’ll be satisfied once all is signed and sealed.
- Quinn is hooked on iSpy puzzles on the computer. He’s been begging for computer time for the last week or two, and he spent three hours on the eMac in the office this morning solving all the puzzles in iSpy Spooky Mansion. I can’t say the apple is falling far from the tree there, but if he starts asking for Hot Pockets, I’m pulling the plug. At this rate, he’ll want his own WoW account next year, and if his main out-levels mine before the kid is even in elementary school, I’ll feel positively ancient.
- The sequel to Great Big Military SF Novel is coming along fine…three to five pages a day, every day, plodding right along. At this rate, it should be done by the time the snow recedes in April, maybe even sooner. This one’s outlined to be about 20-30,000 words shorter than the first one, but I have a tendency to underestimate word counts for the final product. (Terms of Enlistment was supposed to be 90-100,000 words, and ended up weighing in at almost 120,000.)
- I have a post on health care in the works, but I didn’t get around to finishing it today, so I’ll save it for tomorrow or Saturday.
- Lastly, can Michael Moore be any more of a douchebag? Dude is worth $50 million, and says he doesn’t count himself among the top 1% he says control 99% of the country’s wealth. When your bank statement shows eight fucking figures, you’re well inside that one-percent bracket, Mikey. Like I said on Twitter: Capitalism is the only system under which one can amass $50 million of personal wealth by making movies that criticize the system. (Try finding a North Korean or Cuban who got wealthy by criticizing his own economic system. Hell, find me a wealthy North Korean or Cuban, period…one who isn’t a member of the ruling political caste, that is.)
That’s all I have for right now. Tune in again tomorrow, when I’ll try to take a shot at the concept of fairness in health care coverage…