Here are the contents of my pockets as of right now. They contain a small pile of small gadgets that bring me enjoyment:
- An oilcloth-covered notebook.
- A thin media player that is also a pocket computer, complete with web browser and WiFi, loaded with my entire library of CDs, a hundred e-books, and a dozen full-length movies.
- A watch with a night light.
- A knife with a locking blade.
- A flash drive that holds all the stuff I’ve ever written, with enough free space to hold everything I’m likely to write in my lifetime a few thousand times over.
- A fountain pen with a retractable nib.
- A very small .380 pocket pistol that’s about the size of a pack of smokes, and almost as light.
- Two reloads for the very small pocket pistol.
Just in the pockets of my jeans, I can carry around a notebook, a fountain pen, a miniature computer, a folding knife that turns into a fixed blade at the press of a stud, and a respectably powerful pistol along with nineteen rounds for it. That’s a tolerable basic set of tools for utility, communication, entertainment, data storage, creative expression, and self-defense.
I have to say that living in the future is pretty damn cool.