I’ve received a ton of email in the last few days regarding Major Caudill, who seems to be popping up with that awesome essay of his all over the place again. Thanks to all of you who keep sending me links and correcting attributions.
–Virtually every instance of the essay popping up on some conservative or firearms board features the incorrect attribution.
–Virtually every instance also omits the word “gay” in the paragraph that talks about an armed gay guy being on the same footing as a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats.
I’m rightly confused, I am. If you think that the right to self-defense is a human right, and you don’t like the idea of a gay person exercising it, then it necessarily follows that you don’t think gays should be afforded the whole set of human rights. If that’s the case, then please stay the fuck off my side.
If you don’t support the same freedoms for everyone, then you don’t support freedom. Being in favor of freedom only for yourself and folks mostly like you is no virtue at all. It requires no sacrifice, no tolerance, and no brainpower. It will also cost you your pet freedoms sooner or later, once you find yourself as a member of the 49% whose cornflakes the other 51% vote themselves the right to pee on.
(Note: if your Internet nom-de-plume rhymes with Dusty Nantucket, you may refrain from commenting on this post. I’m aware of your position on teh gheys, their immoral ways, and my childish acceptance thereof.)