Stuff I did this week (so far):
- Chopped up trees and branches deposited in my back yard by the storm a few weeks back. Made a brush pile for burning, stacked the usable bits for use as firewood, split the sections of Treezilla (the 100-odd foot oak that fell over at the edge of our yard, taking down thirty feet of fence line and one young birch in the process), and did some general picking up of winter debris in the back yard.
- Plugged away at the novel some more. (It’s two thirds complete right now at 65k words.) I wanted to have the first draft done by Readercon, which is in July. That may still happen, but I really need to put pen to paper for it.
- Came up with the idea for a new short story in my MilSF novel’s setting, much like the one I posted a while back. I’ll share it when it’s finished.
- Cleaned up the house, which is a never-ending task when you have two kids and four dogs following in your wake to undo all your work.
- Leveled my hunter main to 77, so she can finally use her flying mount in Northrend, and discovered just how lucrative a bit of focused grinding can be.
Stuff I didn’t do (much) this week:
- Dick around on the Internet.
It’s amazing how much more work you can get done if you leave the computer off for most of the day.
I think I’m suffering from Intertubes fatigue at the moment. I’m sick of the news, the polarizing editorials, and the YouTube-like retarded comments that are invariably appended to those items. I’m heartily sick of wading through the 90% crap to get to the 10% of genuine emails in my Inbox (and if you sent me an email in the last few weeks, I apologize for not getting back to you in a timely fashion). I’m even a bit tired of the social networking thing…it’s fun to stay in touch with friends, but does the world really need four or six updates per day from me?
So I’m cutting the consumption back a fair bit, and I’m going to focus on production instead. Blogging will continue, but don’t be surprised if I don’t regularly regale you with my lunch choices on Facebook or Twitter in the next few weeks, or if you don’t see me around on Instant Messenger or IRC. I’m trying some Intertubes detox for a while.