News from Long Island: Punk-ass teenage thug gets into trouble his Daddy can’t get him out of for a change. Daddy is very upset that the court didn’t show mercy, considering Junior was only 17 when he stabbed an Ecuadorean immigrant to death on the street for kicks, because, hey, can’t a kid screw up once or twice?
What’s amazing is the father’s stubborn insistence to disavow all guilt or responsibility on his son’s part, even though the background story paints a less-than-wholesome picture of the young choir boy.
Let’s recap the situation:
- Junior has problems with disciplinary infractions in school, twenty-four of them in the last two years.
- Junior has been arrested for assault before.
- Junior wears a swastika tattoo.
- Junior’s idea of fun is to go out with his gang of high school buddies and practice a sport they call “beaner hopping”‘, where they beat up Hispanics because they figure illegals will be less likely to go to the cops.
- Junior’s merry group of beaner hoppers develops a local reputation for their dedication to the sport, as they practice it on a regular basis for a year or two.
- During one of the beaner hopping bouts, Junior loses his temper when one victim has the temerity to hit back in self-defense. Junior produces a knife and stabs Mr. Marcelo Lucero from Ecuador to death.
- When Junior is tracked down and arrested for the deed, he produces the knife from his boxer shorts, hands it to the cops, and admits the stabbing.
Now, somewhere along the line, Junior’s dad should have looked at all those clues and figured out that his offspring may not be entirely lily-white. To take offense to the 25-year sentence for manslaughter, and opine that you expected an acquittal in the first place, is the act of someone who’s in total denial about the quality of human being he has managed to raise.
I guess it’s a natural defensive reaction–who wants to face the fact that one’s offspring is a no-good, murdering bully and thug?–but to me, it’s yet another example of how effectively people can practice self-deception.
Now one man is dead, two families are grieving, and a teenager will spend the next quarter century in a concrete cage, with a stinky roommate, lousy food, and communal showers. And all for absolutely no good reason.
Whenever I read senseless shit like that, I can’t quite decide whether we’re just a hair too smart or a hair too stupid for our own good. One thing is for sure: any species whose members routinely kill each other over trivialities such as the melanin content of their skin doesn’t quite deserve a seat at the Great Cosmic Grown-Up Table just yet.