Stuff I did last weekend:
- Caulked the new logs on the side of the house. We had eight logs replaced due to rot, and the cracks needed to be filled. (Side note: Log home caulk is mighty sticky.)
- Finished the Alternate History/Fantasy short story I started two weeks ago, and edited it to within an inch of its life. This one takes place in an alternate 1890s Germany, and I’m toying with the idea of writing a whole novel in that setting.
- Went out on Dadcation for some caffeine and a few pages of writing. I’ve been shunning the coffee shop at the bookstore lately, because it’s always crowded. They have a very large table in the Languages section that can be reserved for book clubs, and it’s always empty when I show up, so I’ve been setting up shop there. It’s quiet, I have space to spread my stuff out a bit, and few people venture into the Languages corner even on busy days. Working in public is fine until you have people basically rubbing elbows with you, and parents dragging their entourage of four preschoolers into the cafe for a raucous round of afternoon sugar infusions. That’s when I grab my stuff and search for quieter pastures.
- Played a bit of World of Warcraft. I’ve been spending all my spare time on the Telling of Lies for Fun and Profit, so my WoW characters haven’t seen much action, but my main is finally close to hitting level 80.
- Watched “Kick-Ass”, which has officially supplanted “Zombieland” as the greatest movie in the history of motion pictures. Nicolas Cage is pitch-perfect as Big Daddy, and every single one of Hit-Girl’s fight scenes is just one long Crowning Moment of Awesome. (Link Warning: tvtropes.org is an acknowledged Internet Black Hole, where you can wander in and lose hours in a blink.)
- Started reading “Let The Right One In”, the acclaimed Swedish vampire novel they turned into a movie recently. I saw the movie a few months ago and loved it. Turns out they’re about to release an American remake, called “Let Me In”. I dislike the idea of remaking what is essentially a perfect little gem of a movie, but the remake has a pretty stellar cast, so I hope they’re not going to screw it up too much. (The vampire girl in the remake is played by Chloe Moretz, who plays the aforementioned Hit-Girl in the aforementioned “Kick-Ass”.)
- Got a new round of agent queries ready, submitted a nonfiction article proposal, and sketched out a few more possible articles to turn into currency. I do love currency, I really do.
The rest of the week will see me rebuilding that 70% complete pre-WWII Nazi Germany urban fantasy short story to put in more Awesome and trim out the fat. Then I have to write another chapter for That Damn MilSF Sequel, and think about a few more non-fiction articles to shop around. Oh, and my little employers will want to do the regular round of playground visits, story readings, and other diversions. Plus, they want to be fed two or three times a week.
And that’s my exciting life at the moment. This year has been mostly like wading through a hip-deep lake of half-congealed sticky toffee, and being out of commission for just about a whole month due to ZOMG BACK PAIN didn’t help my creative output. Now I’ll be playing catch-up for a little while.