<sounds of drilling and sawing>

We have a home restoration crew in the house.  They’re repairing all the water damage we got before we put the new roof on the place, so it’s three days of drywall dust, fresh paint smell, and dog hysteria at Castle Frostbite.  Add to that mix two kids who think that anyone coming through the door wants to know everything about Thomas the Tank Engine and Winnie the Pooh, and you have an environment that’s not very conducive to writing.  I’ll be staying up late for a few days to get some work done in the living room, when everyone’s in bed.

After we’re done with the repairs, the plan is to move the kids into the smaller of the downstairs bedrooms, and use the bigger one for a combined office for Robin and me.  Their current bedroom—the future office—is quite spacious, and having only two kid beds and a dresser in there is a waste of all that space.  (The kids play all over the house, but mostly in the adjacent second living room, which we call the “sitting room.”)  When we claim that big bedroom as office space, we’ll finally have enough wall space to put up bookshelves and unbox the majority of our library, which has been stored up in the attic since we moved in.  I mean, how are you supposed to know it’s an office if the walls aren’t lined with books?

And yet another $NON_TRIVIAL_AMOUNT of cash later, another part of the house is hammered into shape.  At least the homeowner’s insurance paid for the lion’s share of this one.  Slowly but surely, Castle Frostbite is turning into an adequate and proper dwelling.


9 thoughts on “<sounds of drilling and sawing>

  1. Bruce H. says:

    How do you say Castle Frostbite in German?

      • Tam says:

        I was kinda hoping it’d be something cool, like maybe “Sturmkriegwaffenpanzerblitzen Festung”

      • Bruce H. says:

        OK, you’re the native speaker, but I thought Burg was more like a fortified city. Why not Schloss?

        • Marko Kloos says:

          A Burg is a castle. Towns and cities with “-burg” in it grew around a castle. A Schloss is a palace, without the fortifications and walls. Schloss is usually the term for the fancy residence of a nobleman, whereas Burg is used for the earlier defensive structures with walls and battlements.

          The delineation is a little fuzzy, however. Schloss Neuschwanstein, for example, has battlements and walls, and looks more like a medieval Burg than a Renaissance or baroque Schloss, but it’s referred to as a Schloss because it’s really fancy and ornamental, and it used to be the residence of the Bavarian king, not just some Burg-dwelling country nobleman.

        • Bruce H. says:

          Thank you kindly. I learn something new every day.

  2. Fred2 says:

    Der Erfrierungburg

    or in the 17th century, when things french were in vogueinthe Germanies, and you had gardens and what-not.

    Chateau Gelure Superficielle, (sur Neige en Ete).

    • George says:

      Beginning the same process here (in Phoenix). Feed into the toilet tank failed, then ruptured. Damages to Pergo flooring, tile, baseboards, ego. Drying on Day 4, then floor and cabinet replacement (kitchen and bathroom).

  3. Eseell says:

    It’s remodeling month! I just finished cleaning out my bedroom; it’s completely bare now. I’m having the carpet cleaners in to do the whole house on Thursday and then I’m going to refurnish the bedroom and office with a new bed, desk, and bookshelves so that there aren’t quite so many books on the floor.

Comments are closed.