Random bullet points from the ongoing week of My Exciting Life!™:
- The snow is gone just about everywhere in the area, EXCEPT OUR PROPERTY. I’m not even kidding—we’re like Garfield’s little house in the suburbs that’s the only one with a cloud above it. There’s no other property on the way to town that has any white stuff left on it. The snow plow guy said it’s something about the location of the property, which sits on an east-facing slope at the eastern edge of town. It looks like we bought a patch of land that is to snow what a litter box is to cat poop.
- The new DSL is working great, except when it drops the PPP connection. That happened about six times on Day 1, twice on Day 2, and only once yesterday, and it never takes more than a few minutes for the modem to reconnect to the Great Link, but it’s still annoying. The telco is sending out a tech on Friday to wave dead poultry and light black candles over the line, and we’ll see how it goes from there. Other than that, it’s a huge increase in bandwidth—exactly three times faster than the WISP we’ve been using, and really low-latency. I’ve been dusting off my first-person online shooters again (helloooo again, Battlefield 2 and Team Fortress 2), and even though I don’t have a ton of time to play them, it’s nice to know that I once again have the option of a quick round of BOOM HEDSHOT when I need a bit of stress relief.
- Also much improved: Skype and Netflix streaming video. I can actually use the Interskypes properly now, although I haven’t done any extensive testing due to the fact that NONE OF MY SKYPE CONTACTS ARE EVER ONLINE. If you’re one of them, and you see me online, feel free to hit me up for a quick palaver, so I can test the DSL line some more. Robin will need to use Skype from home for professional reasons soon, and I want to make sure everything works hunky-dory.
- The annual rite known as the Cleaning of the Spring is in progress here at the Castle. I just finished excavating the playroom, and found toys with Neanderthal teeth marks in them. Next up: cleaning the battlewagon, and swapping out the snowblower with the lawnmower.
- Wanna see a random artifact from my childhood? A friend reminded me of a kids’ cartoon from 1970s Germany, Vicky the Viking, and I was able to recall most of the theme song, even though I haven’t watched that show since I was in elementary school. Here’s the title song from the start of the show (in German.) You want to take a freaky trip down Memory Lane, look up the shows you used to watch as a kid. Seeing those visuals again after three decades really made my brain do a double-take. It’s a funky sort of déjà vu.
- If you don’t eat yer meat, you can’t have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat yer meat?